Connect with us

Local News

Ireland To Return Frozen Abacha Funds To Nigeria

Published

on

images 41 Ireland To Return Frozen Abacha Funds To Nigeria

Ireland has signed an agreement with Nigeria for the return of funds misappropriated by Nigeria’s former leader, the late General Sani Abacha, who ruled the country from 1993 until his death in 1998.
The Criminal Assets Bureau (CAB) took part in an international operation linked to the case which led to the freezing of over $1 billion of assets worldwide, of which approximately €5.5 million was identified in a Dublin-based bank account.
The funds were frozen in a bank account in Ireland by CAB in October 2014. After an application by the Nigerian authorities last year, the High Court earlier this year made an order providing for the return of these assets to Nigeria, subject to a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the two governments.
Minister for Justice Helen McEntee said the return of the assets would be “a concrete demonstration” of Ireland’s commitment to international cooperation in the fight against corruption.
The MoU, a first for Ireland, is in line with its international obligations as a signatory to the UN Convention Against Corruption.

Continue Reading
Comments

Local News

I ’ m Still Married To Fani – kayode , Says Ghanaian Wife

Published

on

images 68 2 I ’ m Still Married To Fani - kayode , Says Ghanaian Wife

Mrs Regina Fani-Kayode (nee Hanson-Amonoo), the legal wife of a former Minister of Aviation, Chief Femi Fani-Kayode, says the ex-minister has never abused her in their 23 years of marriage.
She said this during a telephone intervie on Monday in reaction to allegations that Fani-Kayode abused his estranged wife, Precious Chikwendu.
Regina, who is a Ghanaian, said she got married to Fani-Kayode based on Ghanaian customs in 1997 and they subsequently tied the knot at the Apapa Registry in Lagos in 2002
She said, “We have a beautiful daughter called Oluwaremilekun and both she and I are very proud of him. He has been a wonderful father and caring husband and he has never subjected me to any form of domestic abuse or treated me badly.
“Reports in the media that we are divorced are fake and suggestions that I was treated in a bad way by him or subjected to any form of abuse at any time in the 23 years that we have been married are malicious and false.”
When asked if she was aware of Fani-Kayode’s relationship with Precious that produced four sons, she responded in the affirmative, adding that she approved of it.
Regina stated that she had relocated to Ghana and that a monogamous relationship would have been difficult for her husband hence she gave him her blessing to take another wife
She, however, said her husband did not commit bigamy as he did not marry Precious legally but traditionally.
Precious, who is a beauty queen, recently separated from Fani-Kayode amid rumours of domestic violence.
However, neither Precious nor Fani-Kayode has agreed to speak to the media on the matter.

Continue Reading

Local News

I Won ’ t Rest Until Ondo Wins Battle Against Unemployment – Akeredolu

Published

on

images 67 1 I Won ’ t Rest Until Ondo Wins Battle Against Unemployment - Akeredolu

The Ondo State Governor, Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, SAN, on Monday, commissioned a modern chocolate factory in the ancient city of Idanre in Idanre Local Government Area of the state.
The factory, though initiated by his predecessor in partnership with a United States-based firm, Spagnvola Chocolatiers, was completed by the Akeredolu led administration.
The factory, estimated to be worth #9billion, will produce 2.8 million tons of Chocolate per annum.
The governor said his dream for Ondo “is to be a state that doesn’t rely on allocation from the federation account to pay salaries and fund infrastructure before the year 2024”.
He said, “I will work to hand over a State that does not rely on allocation to pay salaries by the year 2024.
“I want to change our narrative. Enough of Ondo being tagged as a civil service state. We are a hidden wealth of Nigeria. We shall explore all our potentials.
“Let me assure all the good people of Ondo State that this factory shall run independently of politics. It shall be run in line with global best practices.
“To guarantee a constant supply of cocoa beans to the factory, the Oda Cocoa Plantation, which is over 1,744 Hectares, has been resuscitated and made functional with over 250 Cocoa farmers upscaling daily production from the farm
“I will never rest until we win the battle against unemployment in our state through industrialisation, agriculture, and technology.
“To consolidate our foothold as the number one cocoa producer in Nigeria, this administration has established a modern cocoa farm at Ijugbere Camp in Ilale, Owo on 8,400Hectatres of land with the capacity to accommodate 2,000 youths who would be resident on the farm with a minimum of four Hectares of Land per person.”
In their separate remarks, the Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Agriculture and Agro Business, Pastor Akin Olotu, and the Special Adviser to the Governor on Investment and Development, Mr. Boye Oyewumi, said the factory was already moribund before the emergence of the current administration

Continue Reading

Local News

Atiku Reacts , Dismisses US Surveillance Report

Published

on

images 63 2 Atiku Reacts , Dismisses US Surveillance Report

Former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar has denied reports that he and some members of his family are under the United States of America watchlist, describing same as “recycled false allegations.”
Media reports surfaced on Monday to the effect that the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, FinCEN, an agency of the United States Department of Treasury, has flagged some transactions linked to the top politician as suspicious, in its surveillance of money movements within the international system.
Reacting to the media report, the 2019 Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in a statement signed by his media aide, Paul Ibe, said neither him nor any member of his family has breached any law, locally or internationally.
The statement reads: “My attention has been drawn to recycled and regurgitated lies about the person of Atiku Abubakar.
“For the avoidance of doubt, Atiku Abubakar is not under any US watch list, neither has he been charged, or will ever be charged by the United States Justice Department or any other in a foreign jurisdiction.
“It will be recalled that these recycled lies were re-unearthed just before the February 23, 2019 Presidential election, and to put paid to them, His Excellency, Atiku Abubakar, applied for and received a US visa, whereupon he embarked on a visit to the United States on January 17, 2019. He stayed at a hotel just miles to the United States Department of Justice.
“Atiku Abubakar in the course of that trip was also received in audience, by officials of the United States Government.
“These ‘new’ reports are a desperate gambit to recast these discredited accusations. They are meant to divert the attention of Nigerians from the recent statement by the Secretary of State of the United States, Mr Mike Pompeo, announcing visa and travel bans for certain unnamed but notorious individuals.
“Moreover, the timing of this report, less than 24 hours after the Edo state gubernatorial elections, should give some thought to thinking people.
“And considering the season that we are in, more of such jaundiced stories seeking to discredit Atiku Abubakar would come. However, it needs to be reiterated that the former Vice President and every member of his family keeps a clean business portfolio that has nothing to do with government resources and in conformity with local and foreign laws of respective countries.”

Continue Reading

Trending