Connect with us

Sports

Pique : “We Have Hit Rock Bottom “, Demands Changes At “Humiliated ” Barca

Published

on

images 48 Pique : "We Have Hit Rock Bottom ", Demands Changes At "Humiliated " Barca

Gerard Pique says big changes are needed at Barcelona following their “humiliating” 8-2 loss to Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-finals.
The 33-year-old defender, who has won 20 major titles over 12 years with the club, added that he would be “the first to leave” if the club wished it.
Friday’s loss was the heaviest Barca have suffered in Europe and ends a season that has also seen them lose the La Liga title to Real Madrid.
“We have hit rock bottom,” said Pique.
“This is not the first, nor the second, nor the third time. We are not on the right path.”
He continued: “Coaches and players follow one another, but it has been several years since we have been able to be competitive on a European level.
“We all have to think internally and decide what is best for the club, for Barca. Tonight was unacceptable for Barcelona.
“It’s very hard to take but I hope it will be useful for something, for us to all think about it.
“The club needs changes. And I’m not talking at the level of the coach or the players, but structurally the club needs changes of all kinds.
“We must bring in new blood to change this dynamic, and if necessary, I would be the first to leave.”
Barca have a presidential election in the summer of 2021, to seek a successor to incumbent Josep Maria Bartomeu.
Barcelona head coach Quique Setien was already under pressure heading into the quarter-final tie following a disappointing seven months in charge after succeeding Ernesto Valverde in January.
When asked about the future of the club and Pique’s comments, he responded: “I’m not going to talk about what is needed at the club. I’ve been here for just a few months.
“If Gerard says that it’s time for big changes there’s going to be importance to his words. It’s time for us to review and take the decisions which are needed for the future.”
When asked to address his own future at the Nou Camp, he said: “I think that right now it’s too soon to be talking about whether I stay at the club or not. The reality is that it doesn’t depend on me.
“It’s worth all of us working out what’s important and considering a wide range of things which correspond to a defeat of this importance and which is so painful.”

Continue Reading
Comments

Sports

Wilfred Ndidi Sustains Abductor Injury , Could Be Out For Up To 12 Weeks

Published

on

114581343 gettyimages 1228560872 Wilfred Ndidi Sustains Abductor Injury , Could Be Out For Up To 12 Weeks

Leicester’s Wilfred Ndidi could be out for up to 12 weeks because of an abductor injury he sustained in Sunday’s league win over Burnley.
The 23-year-old missed Wednesday’s 2-0 Carabao Cup defeat to Arsenal and may require surgery.
“It is an abductor injury – it may have come off the bone which could be a nasty injury,” said Foxes boss Brendan Rodgers after the loss to the Gunners.
“We will wait to see if he needs an operation – if so it will be 12 weeks.”
Ndidi has been operating as a makeshift central defender for the Foxes so far this season in the absence of the injured Jonny Evans.
Leicester have won both of their league games this season, to leave them top of the Premier League on goal difference.

Continue Reading

Sports

Chelsea Complete The Signing Of Edouard Mendy From Rennes

Published

on

images 97 2 Chelsea Complete The Signing Of Edouard Mendy From Rennes

OFFICIAL: Chelsea complete the signing of Edouard Mendy from Rennes, with the goalkeeper joining on a five-year deal at a cost of £22 million ($29m).
The Senegalese international has penned a five-year deal at Stamford Bridge and will compete with Kepa Arrizabalaga and Willy Caballero for a starting spot between the posts in the season ahead.
After signing his long-term contract with the Blues, Mendy said: ‘I am so excited to be joining Chelsea. It’s a dream for me to be a part of this exciting squad and to work with Frank Lampard and all of his coaching staff. I look forward to meeting my team-mates and can’t wait to get started.’
On signing Mendy, Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia said: ‘As soon as Petr Cech and our technical team identified Edouard as the most suitable goalkeeper to complement our existing group, there was only one player we wanted to bring in. Edouard arrives following a season of real success with Rennes, he is ambitious for more, and we welcome him to our club.’

Continue Reading

Sports

Luis Suarez Joins Atletico Madrid From Barcelona

Published

on

images 86 2 Luis Suarez Joins Atletico Madrid From Barcelona

Subject to passing his medical and agreeing and formalising the Uruguayan’s contract.
Atlético de Madrid and FC Barcelona have reached an agreement over the transfer of Luis Suárez, subject to passing his medical and agreeing and formalising the Uruguayan’s contract with our club.
FC Barcelona and Atlético Madrid have reached an agreement for the transfer of the player Luis Suárez. The Madrid club will pay FC Barcelona 6 million euros in variables.
FC Barcelona would like to publicly express their gratitude to Luis Suárez for his commitment and dedication and wishes him all the best for the future.
On Thursday 24 September from 12.30pm CEST there will be a farewell event for the player and following that a remote press conference. You can see all the day’s event surrounding the Uruguayan striker’s goodbye live on Barça TV+, FC Barcelona’s official digital streaming platform.
13 titles in six seasons
Luis Suárez is leaving Barça after six glorious seasons. He has played a key role in winning no fewer than thirteen major trophies:
La Liga: 4
Champions League: 1
Copa del Rey: 4
Clubs World Cup: 1
European Super Cup: 1
Spanish Super Cup: 2
He joined the club in the summer of 2014 and made his competitive debut in the Clásico against Real Madrid. He scored his first goal in a 4-0 win in the Champions League at APOEL, while he got his first Liga goal against Cordoba in December.
His natural goalscoring instinct has brought plenty of pleasure to Culers over the years, including the winner against Juventus to secure the club’s fifth Champions League. In his second year at the club, 2015/16, he earned the Golden Shoe as Europe’s top scorer, scoring 40 goals in La Liga and 59 in total.
Other memorable nights include his performance in the famous 6-1 comeback against Paris Saint-Germain, and in total he is departing after contributing 198 goals in 283 games, making him the third highest goalscorer in Barça history, only topped by César and Leo Messi – and he has also contributed 97 assists.

Continue Reading

Trending