Connect with us

Local News

FG Bans EU Flights From Nigeria

Published

on

download 3 1 FG Bans EU Flights From Nigeria

Nigeria will enforce the principle of reciprocity in granting permission to airlines to resume operations into the country as it opens its airspace, the Federal Government said on Thursday.
According to the government, what this means is that only airlines from countries that allow flights from Nigeria will be allowed to fly into and out of Nigeria.
It specifically stated that airlines from the European Union would not be allowed into Nigeria as the EU had recently banned flights and visitors from Nigeria.
On July 2, 2020,the Council of the European Union had opened its borders to 15 countries, excluding Nigeria.
According to information obtained from the EU website at the time, Nigeria was still not a part of the countries from where visitors were allowed into Europe.
Speaking at Thursday’s briefing of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, the Minister of Aviation, Hadi Sirika, said Nigeria’s position was informed by the ban placed by some countries on flights from Nigeria.
The minister, who was represented by the Director-General, Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority, Capt. Musa Nuhu, argued that the decision was taken in the interest of Nigerians.
He said, “On the list of countries (that are banned), we are working on the comprehensive list, but the main one that came up is when the EU opened their borders effective 1st July, Nigeria was among the list of 54 countries that were not allowed to enter the EU.
“To my understanding, as the situation changes, they are going to look at the list and change it. But so far, we don’t have any contrary information to that first one that Nigeria is banned from going to the EU.
“So, as we open our airspace, we are going to apply the issue of reciprocity to those (EU) countries.”
Sirika also stated that airlines would be informed on arrangements that had been put in place to ensure that the resumption of flights were hitch-free.
He stated that for now, only a few flights per day would be permitted, adding that they would operate as test runs of the protocols put in place to ensure the safe return to international operations.
The protocols, according to him, would be made public in due course.
Sirika also stated that inbound international passengers would be limited to 1,280.
He said only this number would be allowed to fly into the Lagos and Abuja airports once international flights resume on August 29, 2020.

Continue Reading
Comments

Local News

Petrol scarcity looms as NARTO begins strike Tuesday

Published

on

images 38 3 Petrol scarcity looms as NARTO begins strike Tuesday

Petrol scarcity may surface across the country as the Nigerian Association of Road Transport Owners on Monday ordered tanker drivers nationwide to halt operations beginning from Tuesday, September 22 , 2020 .
NARTO gave the directive in Abuja in protest against the Federal Government’ s ban on petroleum trucks above 45 , 000 litres from plying Nigerian roads .
NARTO is the umbrella organisation of all commercial vehicles owners in Nigeria engaged in the haulage of petroleum products , general cargoes , and movement of goods and passengers within the country and the West – African sub- region .
Speaking at a press briefing in Abuja, NARTO’ s National President , Yusuf Othman , said members of the association would have to park their trucks on Tuesday and Wednesday as a warning to government against the abrupt ban .
He said , “ NARTO received with grave shock the recent government decision to place immediate ban on all petroleum trucks above 45 , 000 litres capacity from plying Nigeria roads . ”
Othman said the sudden ban was highly insensitive and unappreciative of the efforts NARTO members in the sensitive distribution and supply chains of petroleum products across the country.
He said none of the major transport companies across the country could continue any form of operations with this policy within this short time frame , adding that if the ban was not lifted , the association would begin a full blown industrial action .
The NARTO president said , “ In view of the above , we are therefore constrained to allow the decision of all our members to park their trucks as from tomorrow, 22 nd to 23 rd September , 2020 , to prevail as warning .

Continue Reading

Local News

2023 : Nigerian – Born US Detective Unfolds Presidential Ambition Under APC

Published

on

images 4 5 2023 : Nigerian - Born US Detective Unfolds Presidential Ambition Under APC

Ahead of Nigeria’s next general election coming up in 2023, an American trained security expert and social critic, Sam Nwanti, has indicated his intention to vie for the presidential ticket of the All Progressive congress (APC), boasting that as an accomplished security management expert, he has all it takes to tackle the lingering insurgency in the land.
Nwanti, who is the proprietor of the Human Rights Network Initiative, from Mbieri in the Mbaitoli Local Government Area Imo State, told our correspondent that the inability of the Federal Government to engage the services of some foreign security experts was responsible for the nagging security challenges the country, which he said is porous.
As an American trained detective with formidable connection, Nwanti said he stood shoulder high among other interested aspirants to fight corruption and stabilize the nation’s wobbling economy of elected.
Insisting that it is the turn of the Southeast to produce the nation’s next president, Nwanti urged the Federal Government to dismantle the current security structure and to replace the serving service chiefs with much more competent hands to move the nation forward.

Continue Reading

Local News

FinCEN Files : US Places Atiku, Wives , Under International Banking Surveillance

Published

on

images 35 3 FinCEN Files : US Places Atiku, Wives , Under International Banking Surveillance

Secret U.S. government documents reveal that JPMorgan Chase, HSBC and other big banks have defied money laundering crackdowns by moving staggering sums of illicit cash for shadowy characters and criminal networks that have spread chaos and undermined democracy around the world.
The records show that five global banks — JPMorgan, HSBC, Standard Chartered Bank, Deutsche Bank and Bank of New York Mellon — kept profiting from powerful and dangerous players even after U.S. authorities fined these financial institutions for earlier failures to stem flows of dirty money.
U.S. agencies responsible for enforcing money laundering laws rarely prosecute megabanks that break the law, and the actions authorities do take barely ripple the flood of plundered money that washes through the international financial system.
In some cases the banks kept moving illicit funds even after U.S. officials warned them they’d face criminal prosecutions if they didn’t stop doing business with mobsters, fraudsters or corrupt regimes.
JPMorgan, the largest bank based in the United States, moved money for people and companies tied to the massive looting of public funds in Malaysia, Venezuela and Ukraine, the leaked documents reveal.

Rukaiyatu Abubakar is one of four current wives of Atiku Abubakar, vice president of Nigeria from 1999 to 2007. In 2006, Nigerian anti-corruption investigators accused Atiku Abubakar of fraudulently diverting $125 million of state revenue to private interests. U.S. prosecutors also alleged that a Louisiana congressman tried to bribe Atiku Abubakar to help a Nigerian technology company. Atiku Abubakar has never been tried in court and denies wrongdoing. Rukaiyatu Abubakar has not been accused of wrongdoing.
On March 5, 2012, Rukaiyatu Abubakar’s Guernsey Trust Company Nigeria sent more than $1 million to a company in the United Arab Emirates, Tanjay Real Estate Brokers. (GTCN exists to “manage a blind trust” for Atiku Abubkar’s benefit, according to documents received by the U.S. Senate.) Habib Bank Limited in New York filed a suspicious activity report, citing Atiku Abubakar’s history of alleged corruption, after its Dubai office received the payment. The bank’s Dubai branch explained to the office in New York that the payment was to buy an apartment and that the Dubai branch was “unaware of any existing relationship or affiliation between Tanjay and the Abubakar family.”
Habib Bank reported the transactions because they “crossed multiple high-risk jurisdictions” and because “public sources revealed that there have been numerous investigations of Mr. Abubakar … linking him to corruption allegations.”
SARs reflect the concerns of compliance officers and are not necessarily indicative of criminal conduct or other wrongdoing. The Abubakars didn’t respond to an ICIJ request for comment sent to Atiku Abubakar’s spokesman.

Continue Reading

Trending