Connect with us

Sports

England squad: Shaw, Oxlade-Chamberlain out, Maguire, Greenwood in

Published

on

default England squad: Shaw, Oxlade-Chamberlain out, Maguire, Greenwood in

in England ’s squad for their Nations League matches against Iceland and Denmark despite the Manchester United captain ’s arrest on assault charges in Greece .
The defender , 27 , was arrested late Thursday after a fight with another group at a nightclub in Mykonos and spent two nights in custody .
Maguire has flown back to England , but his trial went ahead in his absence on Tuesday . He denies the charges.
England manager Gareth Southgate opted to stand by the centre- back , including him in the squad that will play the Nations League matches next month.
Southgate has previously shown his willingness to get tough with misbehaving players , dropping Manchester City winger Raheem Sterling after he clashed with Liverpool ’s Joe Gomez in a training ground dispute .
Maguire , who has 26 England caps, became the world ’s most expensive defender following his £ 80 million ( $ 105 million ) move from Leicester last year .
England have not played since November 2019 , when a 4 – 0 win in Kosovo concluded their Euro 2020 qualification campaign .
Southgate ’ s side face Iceland in Reykjavik on September 5 before playing Denmark in Copenhagen on September 8 .
Maguire ’s off -field issues overshadowed first call -ups for talented youngsters Phil Foden, Mason Greenwood and Kalvin Phillips .
Foden , 20 , has emerged as a future star in Manchester City ’s midfield , while the goals of 18 – year -old striker Greenwood were key to Manchester United qualifying for next season’s Champions League.
Phillips ’ mature displays in midfield helped Leeds win promotion from the Championship last season.
There was also a place in the squad for Southampton striker Danny Ings , who enjoyed a prolific campaign with 25 goals in all competitions and made his only previous England appearance in 2015 .
Southgate picked players from City and United despite their European campaigns only ending this month , including Sterling, Marcus Rashford and Kyle Walker.
Liverpool midfielder Jordan Henderson was absent after missing the last four games of the Premier League season with a knee injury , while Ben Chilwell, Luke Shaw , Alex Oxlade -Chamberlain and James Maddison are also sidelined after ending the campaign with injuries .

Continue Reading
Comments

Sports

West Ham : David Moyes , Issa Diop & Josh Cullen Test Positive For Covid-19

Published

on

images 64 2 West Ham : David Moyes , Issa Diop & Josh Cullen Test Positive For Covid-19

West Ham United manager David Moyes and two of the club’s players have tested positive for coronavirus.
The Premier League club were informed of the positive tests while preparing for Tuesday’s Carabao Cup tie against Hull City at London Stadium.
Moyes, 57, defender Issa Diop, 23, and 24-year-old midfielder Josh Cullen will now be required to self-isolate.
“The manager and both players immediately left the stadium and have returned home,” said a club statement.
West Ham said the three men were all asymptomatic and assistant manager Alan Irvine took charge of the Hull match, which both Diop and Cullen were due to start.
Public Health England guidelines state those with Covid-19 should self-isolate for at least 10 days, meaning Moyes, Diop and Cullen will not be able to attend training or the league game against Wolverhampton Wanderers on 27 September.
BBC Radio 5 Live’s John Southall said the trio travelled to the ground with the squad in two or three separate coaches.
“They say they all social distanced, the squad, from when they met up and throughout the journey,” he said.
“As soon as they arrived, the results from the tests done yesterday came through and the two players and the manager were isolated immediately in separate rooms and left the ground very quickly, I’m told.
“West Ham say they are satisfied nobody else in the squad needs to self-isolate and that is why the game went ahead.”
The news comes after Leyton Orient v Tottenham Hotspur in the EFL Cup third round on Tuesday was called off because a number of the home players had contracted coronavirus.
It came on the day the government announced a raft of new coronavirus restrictions for England which could last for up to six months.
As part of the stricter rules, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has confirmed plans for fans to return to watch live sport events in England from 1 October will not go ahead.
Sports bodies have been told not to expect spectators at stadiums and venues until the end of March at the earliest.

Continue Reading

Sports

Man City squad stretched to its limit, says Guardiola

Published

on

wolves 6 Man City squad stretched to its limit, says Guardiola

Pep Guardiola said his squad is stretched to the limit as Manchester City prepare to launch their League Cup defense after Monday ’ s opening Premier League win against Wolves .
City claimed an impressive 3- 1 victory at Molineux on Monday as Kevin De Bruyne , Phil Foden , and Gabriel Jesus struck in their Premier League opener.
They remain without Joao Cancelo, Bernardo Silva, Oleksandr Zinchenko , Sergio Aguero , Aymeric Laporte , and Eric Garcia while Ilkay Gundogan is self – isolating after testing positive for coronavirus .
City, who have won the League Cup for the past three seasons, start the defense of their trophy against Bournemouth on Thursday and Guardiola knows they cannot afford to lose more players.
“ All we want is the seven players that are out to come back , ” he said .
“ Now we have a competition that we cannot spend the energy that we spent today , before Leicester ( on Sunday) , so we ’ re going to play mostly academy players and try to keep the energy for the Premier League .
“ With this lack of preparation and seven players out and not coming back soon , we have to keep the players from Monday as safe as possible .
“ We will see how many are available , how they recover . We have just three days . We won the Carabao ( League ) Cup three times in a row and we would like to continue but we don’ t have the players in this period to play every three days . ”

Continue Reading

Sports

Djokovic wins fifth Italian Open title

Published

on

983d7d6d212a2b26adbcdde8dd374945 Djokovic wins fifth Italian Open title

Novak Djokovic claimed a record 36 th Masters crown on Monday, beating Argentine Diego Schwartzman in the final of the Italian Open .
The world number one won 7 – 5 , 6 – 3 to break a tie with Spanish rival Rafael Nadal for most master titles .
For Djokovic , it was a fifth title in the warm – up clay – court tournament for next week ’ s French Open .
Nine- time Rome winner Nadal, the defending champion, fell in the quarter -finals to eighth- seed Schwartzman .

Continue Reading

Trending