Connect with us

Sports

Man United Captain , Maguire Is Found Guilty Of Bribery & Violence , Sentenced

Published

on

maguire united 1200 Man United Captain , Maguire Is Found Guilty Of Bribery & Violence , Sentenced

Manchester United captain Harry Maguire has been given a suspended sentence of 21 months and 10 days in prison after his trial on the Greek island of Syros.
The England defender, 27, was found guilty of repeated bodily harm, attempted bribery, violence against public employees and insult after arrest on Mykonos.
Maguire said after Tuesday’s verdict that he had instructed his legal team “with immediate effect to inform the courts we will be appealing”.
“I remain strong and confident regarding our innocence in this matter – if anything myself, family and friends are the victims,” he added.
Later on Tuesday, England manager Gareth Southgate withdrew Maguire from the squad for September’s Nations League games against Iceland and Denmark.
Southgate, who had included the defender in the squad earlier the same day before the guilty verdict was given, added: “As I said earlier today, I reserved the right to review the situation.
“Having spoken to Manchester United and the player, I have made this decision in the best interests of all parties and with consideration of the impact on our preparations for next week.”
The sentence is suspended for three years because it is a first offence and the charges were misdemeanours.
Maguire was arrested along with brother Joe, 28, and Christopher Sharman, 29, on Thursday after an altercation with police.
Joe Maguire has been found guilty of repeated bodily harm, violence against public employees and attempted bribery.
Sharman has been found guilty of insult, repeated bodily harm and violence against public employees.
Both were sentenced to 13 months in prison, suspended for three years.
All three men denied all charges.
Harry Maguire was not in attendance at the trial in Syros, but his father, Alan, was.
The United captain is being represented by Alexis Anagnostakis, one of Greece’s top human rights lawyers, who asked for a postponement, but that was rejected by the judge.
Manchester United said in a statement: “Harry Maguire pleaded not guilty to all of the misdemeanour charges made against him and he continues to strongly assert his innocence.
“It should be noted that the prosecution confirmed the charges and provided their evidence late on the day before the trial, giving the defence team minimal time to digest them and prepare. A request for the case to be adjourned was subsequently denied.
“On this basis, along with the substantial body of evidence refuting the charges, Harry Maguire’s legal team will now appeal the verdict, to allow a full and fair hearing at a later date.”
Anagnostakis told the court the events stemmed from Maguire’s sister Daisy being injected by a substance by a group of Albanians and she immediately fainted.
The defendants called for transport and asked to be driven to a hospital, but were instead taken to a police station.
The prosecution said Maguire, his brother and friend then physically and verbally attacked police officers.
One policeman alleged that while at the police station, Maguire said: “Do you know who I am? I am the captain of Manchester United. I am very rich. I can give you money. I can pay you. Please let us go.”
His colleague added that Maguire had said to him: “Please, let me go. I am very rich. I can pay. I am the leader of Manchester United.”
The defence argued that this request may have been lost in translation and suggested Maguire may have been asking to pay a “fine” to be released.
In response to the charge of insult, the defence added that the defendants said things which did not imply diminished professionalism by the police officers.
Anagnostakis said the defendants had been beaten, an assertion confirmed by a forensic expert, and added that Maguire became angry only after he was hit on his “golden leg”, insinuating his dominant leg in football.

Continue Reading
Comments

Sports

I Can’t Wait To Face Ronaldo – Osimhen

Published

on

images 16 4 I Can’t Wait To Face Ronaldo - Osimhen

Victor Osimhen is looking forward to coming up against Juventus superstar Cristiano Ronaldo in the Serie A this season, reports Completesports.com.
Osimhen joined Napoli from Ligue 1 club Lille in July.
The new season in Italy will start this weekend with Napoli facing Parma in their first game of the campaign.
Napoli’s first tough fixture of the season will be away to champions Juventus on matchday three.
The game will see Osimhen come up against Ronaldo for the first time in his career.
“I’m really looking forward to a new career here in Serie A. Playing against the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo is something one can eagerly wait for,”Osimhen told cafonline.com.
“While at Lille, I had the opportunity of playing against some of the best players in the world like Neymar, Kylian Mbappe and it would definitely be a whole great experience to play against Ronaldo, who is one of the greatest playeon earth.
“So, I’m looking forward to facing him soon.”
The Nigeria international scored six goals and provided one assist in three pre-season outings for the Partenopei.

Continue Reading

Sports

Five new signings to watch in Serie A

Published

on

images 7 3 Five new signings to watch in Serie A

There will be a clutch of new faces when the 2020/21 Serie A season kicks off this weekend.
AFP Sport looks at five new signings to look out for in Italy this season :
Victor Osimhen ( Napoli )
Napoli paid French club Lille a club record fee of up to 80 million euros ( $94 .6 million ) to bring Nigeria forward to southern Italy on a five- year deal .
The total fee is almost double Napoli’ s previous club record of around 40 million euros paid for Gonzalo Higuain in 2013 and Hirving Lozano last year .
Osimhen scored 18 times last season and was one of the revelations of France ’ s curtailed campaign with 13 Ligue 1 goals as Lille finished fourth .
“ For me , being here means having made a big leap in quality , ” said the 21- year – old .
Napoli finished seventh in Serie A and qualified for the Europa League after winning the Italian Cup , their first trophy in six years .
Weston McKennie ( Juventus)
Weston McKennie joined Juventus on a season – long loan from Bundesliga club Schalke and will become the first American to play for the Italian champions.
McKennie , 22, moves to Turin for an initial fee of 4 . 5 million euros.
The deal includes an obligation for Juventus to buy the midfielder for 18 .5 million euros if certain targets are met this season .
The US international spent four years in Germany and made 91 appearances for Schalke, but the Bundesliga club found itself in a perilous financial situation after the coronavirus pandemic .
“ Playing with Cristiano Ronaldo , seeing how he moves and how he works will bring me great benefits, ” said McKennie before Juventus ’s first game against Sampdoria on Sunday.
Achraf Hakimi ( Inter Milan )
Real Madrid full- back Achraf Hakimi joined Serie A club Inter Milan for a reported fee of 40 million euros plus five million euros in bonuses .
As part of the sale , Madrid has negotiated a clause giving them first refusal on the Morocco international for the next five years .
Achraf , who has spent the past two seasons on loan at Bundesliga club Borussia Dortmund , has joined the Serie A runners – up on a contract until June 2025 .
The pacy defender will bolster Antonio Conte ’ s defense , occupying the right flank where neither Antonio Candreva nor Victor Moses fully convinced last season .
Vedat Muriqi ( Lazio)
Kosovo international striker Vedat Muriqi arrives from Turkish club Fenerbahce to support Lazio’ s Serie A top scorer Ciro Immobile as the club return to the Champions League after a 13 – year break .
Simone Inzaghi’ s side is reported to have spent 20 million euros ( $23 million ) for the services of the 26 – year – old forward on a five- year deal .
Immobile scored 36 goals last season as the Romans challenged for a first Serie A title since 2000, eventually finishing fourth having been just one point behind Juventus before the coronavirus break .
Aleksei Miranchuk ( Atalanta )
Atalanta signed versatile Russian attacking midfielder Aleksei Miranchuk from Lokomotiv Moscow just after their Champions League last- eight exit with Slovenian striker Josip Illcic absent because of personal and psychological problems .
Miranchuk scored 12 goals in the Russian league last season and two against Juventus in the Champions League .
The Bergamo side paid a reported 20 million euros for the 24- year – old , who can play in a central attacking midfield role or as a winger on either flank for last season ’ s Serie A top scorers .
Miranchuk will be separated from his twin brother Anton for the first time after they emerged together at Lokomotiv and in the Russian national team.

Continue Reading

Sports

Osaka withdraws from 2020 French Open

Published

on

download 2 5 Osaka withdraws from 2020 French Open

Japan ’s Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from the upcoming French Open with a hamstring injury .
The 22- year – old had her left hamstring taped when she battled back against Victoria Azarenka in the U . S . Open final in New York on Saturday to win her third Grand Slam title.
“ Unfortunately , I won’ t be able to play the French Open this year ,” the world number three wrote on social media in a message she also posted in Japanese .
“ My hamstring is still sore so I won’t have time to prepare for the clay – these two tournaments came too close to each other for me this time .
“ I wish the organizers and players all the best . ”
French Open will be held from Sept . 27 to Oct . 11 after being moved from its usual late May – June slot due to the coronavirus pandemic .
The hamstring issue had prompted Osaka to withdraw from the final of the Western & Southern Open in the run – up to the U .S . Open but it did not appear to hamper her at Flushing Meadows .
Osaka made headlines in New York as much for her performances on court as for her commitment to social justice causes.
For each of her U . S . Open matches she wore a different mask that carried the name of a Black American , aiming to highlight racial injustice in the United States to a wider audience .
The withdrawal of Osaka, who has never advanced past the third round at Roland Garros , comes as another blow to the tournament after world number one Ash Barty of Australia said she would not be defending her title due to COVID- 19 concerns.
On the men’ s side, Roger Federer will not compete as he continues to recover from knee surgery .
Osaka’ s absence would improve Serena Williams’ s chances of winning a record- tying 24th Grand Slam title if the American chooses to play .
The 38- year – old has pulled out of the Italian Open with an Achilles issue .
The French Tennis Federation ( FFT ) said on Thursday it would allow 5,000 spectators per day following a recent spike in COVID- 19 cases in the country.
It had previously said the clay court major would permit a maximum of 11 ,500 fans per day.

Continue Reading

Trending