Connect with us

Local News

FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, Gotv Price Increase

Published

on

images 2020 08 27T112422.698 FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, Gotv Price Increase

The Federal Government has asked Mul­tiChoice to suspend its planned increase in tariff which will take effect from September 1, saying it is hostile to Nigerians who are currently going through harsh economic conditions, Daily Independent reports.
The government also said the company did not consult with it before the decision was made, saying it only read about the increase in the media like every other Nigerian.
MultiChoice had, last week, announced increment in the prices of DStv and GOtv subscriptions for the second time in less than four months.
Giving reasons for its upward review of prices, the company cited factors such as inflation, operations, the mandatory increase in Value Added Tax (VAT), and devaluation of the naira.
The company, in a statement to subscribers, said that from Tuesday, September 1, 2020, MultiChoice would effect its new price regime as follows: DSTV Premium will move from N16, 200 to N18, 400; Compact Plus from N10, 925 to N12, 400; Compact from 6,975 to 7,900, and for users of GOtv Max, they will have to pay the sum N3, 600 from 3,280.
One of the texts read: “Dear customer, please be advised of a price adjustment on your DStv Premium package from September 1. Your new monthly subscription will be N18, 400.”
Speaking exclusively with Daily Independent, Armstrong Idachaba, the Director-General of the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC), said while it had written to MultiChoice to suspend the tariff, it had also fixed a meeting with their management for Monday to discuss the rationale behind the increases.
“In business, especially in a liberal economy, market operators try to fix their prices according to the dictates of the market.
However, it is the job of the regulator to ensure that whatever services are offered meet the yearnings and aspirations of the people in a way that consumers are protected.
“With regards to broadcasting, there is nowhere in the Act of the commission which gives us the power to fix prices. I am told but have not con­firmed that the Telecommunications Act gives the telecom regulator, the NCC, the power to determine prices.”
Speaking further, he said while the NBC does not have the powers to fix prices for the operators, it has the powers to call them to order if it discovers that they are exploiting Nigerians.
He explains: “We have no provision to regulate the prices that those who offer broadcast services fix but if, in the course of fixing prices, we find out that it is very exploitative and injurious to the consumers, we have the power to call them to order, which we have done severally”.
“On many occasions, we have told them not to increase the price or suspend price increase. But usually the argument they give is that there are fluctuations in the value of the naira.
“Before the latest increase, there was an increase but they said it was due to the increase in Value Added Tax (VAT). So, they added the new VAT rates to their existing charges.
“Even at that time, we were at the National Assembly when the House of Reps requested that they should revert to the old prices which we directed them but they said if they had to do that, then they would not be paying VAT”.
“We are therefore surprised that without further consultation, immediately after that, they now announced a price increase citing prevailing fluctuations in the economy, value of the naira, and cost of doing business.
“We have written to them today because they didn’t consult with us before they did that. We only read it in the news.
“It is only today that they forwarded a corresponding letter to us, meaning that they have taken their decisions but are merely notifying us.”
He said aside from MultiChoice, StarTimes’ management had also been summoned to explain why they decided on price increases at a time Nigerians are going through tough times.
“We have told them to suspend it until we meet them. We are meeting with them next week Monday. They and StarTimes will have to come and explain to us why they have to increase prices at this time that Nigeria is going through economic challenges”.
“I think it is hostile to the interest of the consumers. Our final positions will be known when we meet with them Monday”.

Continue Reading
Comments

Latest News

Aisha Buhari Sends Relief Materials To Flood Victims In Kebbi State

Published

on

images 21 3 Aisha Buhari Sends Relief Materials To Flood Victims In Kebbi State

In continuation of the distribution of palliatives to communities affected by the recent flood disaster across the country, First Lady, Federal Republic of Nigeria, Dr. Mrs. Aisha Muhammadu Buhari dispatched a team consisting of her Aides and officials of ‘Future Assured’ to Kebbi State to deliver the relief materials and commiserate with the victims.
Kebbi state is known to have many flood prone communities because of the presence of three major rivers; the recent flooding, however, affected communities in all the 21 Local Government Areas. Some of the communities visited by the team included Kalgo, Bagudo, Zagga, Jega, Makera (Birnin Kudu), and Argungu.
Speaking on behalf of the First Lady at Jega town in Jega local government area, Aliyu Abdullahi, Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity (Office of the First lady) conveyed Mrs. Buhari’s message of sympathy over the losses they incurred during the disaster which deprived the affected communities their shelters, farmlands and properties. The First Lady prayed to God to compensate for the losses they incurred. “As a mother, I am particularly concerned with the plight of women and children during such disasters”, said Mrs. Buhari.
Mr. Abdullahi assured all the affected communities that they are on the mind of the First Lady at this trying time.
Mrs. Buhari under her Future Assured Program sent large quantities of relief materials that were distributed amongst the affected communities in order to assuage the impact of the losses the communities incurred. This includes food items such as Rice, Vegetable Oil and other edibles, clothing materials, toiletries and blankets.
Chairman of Jega Local Government, who witnessed the distribution along with traditional rulers, Alhaji Adamu Isyaku Kimba spoke at the occasion, expressing the appreciation of the people of Jega over the kind gesture of the First Lady, saying she has lived up to her title as the mother of the nation. He said the people of Jega would remain grateful for her kind gesture.
In the same vein, His Excellency, Senator Abubakar Atiku Bagudu, the Executive Governor of Kebbi State also extended his gratitude and appreciation to Mrs. Buhari and her Future Assured Program for always being there for the people of Kebbi State.

Continue Reading

Latest News

78 Firms Bid To Rehabilitate Pipelines , Depots – NNPC

Published

on

images 20 3 78 Firms Bid To Rehabilitate Pipelines , Depots – NNPC

The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation on Sunday announced that 78 companies submitted virtual bids to rehabilitate its downstream pipelines, associated depots and terminal infrastructure through the finance, build, operate and transfer model.
NNPC’s Group Managing Director, Mele Kyari, said the exercise was in fulfilment of the corporation’s commitment to transparency and accountability as an Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative partner company.
Kyari disclosed this in a statement issued in Abuja by the spokesperson of the oil firm, Kennie Obateru.
He said the finance, build, operate and transfer model became imperative in the corporation’s journey to rehabilitate its downstream infrastructure which over time had become vulnerable, lost value and integrity due to age and incessant vandalism.
He said some of the assets were as old as 40 years and were due for replacement, adding that to carry out such a replacement of this magnitude, there would be need for resources.
Kyari was quoted as saying, “And we know that we require these assets so we decided that we bring in private partners who will fund these pipelines; they will construct operate them with us.
“And ultimately they will fully recover their investment from the tariff which we will pay for using these pipelines and as soon as they recover their cost and their margin, they will hand over these assets back to us.”
Kyari stated that by the end of the first quarter of 2021, the final partners of the bid opening would be selected.
He assured the bidders that the NIPEX portal which was deployed for the pre-qualification exercise was a time tested technology that would not give room for any human indiscretion.
The corporation’s Chief Operating Officer, Downstream, Lawrencia Ndupu, who was represented by the Managing Director, Petroleum Products Marketing Company, Musa Lawan, said the Nigerian Pipelines and Storage Company operates 5,120 length of pipelines.
She said the pipelines traverses the entire country with two coastal depots in Lagos and Calabar, adding that the public bid opening processes was being done transparently.

Continue Reading

Local News

Lagos State Governor Hosts Barcelona Star , Asisat Oshoala

Published

on

IMG 20200920 051522 Lagos State Governor Hosts Barcelona Star , Asisat Oshoala

Today, @AsisatOshoala paid me a courtesy visit. She is a worthy ambassador of Lagos from Ikorodu & we are proud of her. She spoke about her plans for the Asisat Oshoala Foundation and I promised to support her.
We kicked the ball for a bit and I think I still have my skills.

Continue Reading

Trending