Connect with us

Sports

Maguire’s Lack Of Apology Is “Shocking” & “Unsportsmanlike” – Prosecution Lawyer

Published

on

harry maguire chelsea manchester united 17022020 1hiuzycigm9zg17odd83qp4rnu Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike" - Prosecution Lawyer

Harry Maguire’s lack of apology following his trial in Greece is “shocking” and “unsportsmanlike”, says one of the prosecution lawyers.
On Tuesday, the Manchester United captain was found guilty of repeated bodily harm, attempted bribery, violence against public employees and insult following his arrest on the island of Mykonos last week.
He was sentenced to 21 months, 10 days in prison, suspended for three years.
Maguire, 27, has appealed the verdict.
United say the appeal means the defender’s original conviction is “nullified” and a more senior court will now consider the case.
But lawyer Dr Ioannis Paradissis said there was still time “to say sorry”.
England defender Maguire was arrested along with brother Joe, 28, and family friend Christopher Sharman, 29, on Thursday after an altercation with police. Both Joe Maguire and Sharman were sentenced to 13 months in prison, also suspended for three years.
All three men denied all charges.
Dr Paradissis, who represented two of the six Greek police officers involved in the case, told the Today Programme on BBC Radio 4: “The appeal process in Greece is a retrial. So obviously there is still time for the three defendants to say they are sorry and then I believe that the outcome might be different.
“It would be different because under Greek law you can withdraw some accusations – non-aggravated bodily harm and the verbal assaults that were shouted at the policeman.
“I don’t know if my clients would accept that but they told me they are still waiting for an apology and they haven’t heard any and this is what I find quite shocking and quite unsportsmanlike, because fair play means when I’ve done something wrong, I apologise.”
Maguire said after Tuesday’s verdict he had instructed his legal team “with immediate effect to inform the courts we will be appealing”.
“I remain strong and confident regarding our innocence in this matter – if anything myself, family and friends are the victims,” he added.
Leading sports lawyer Dr Gregory Ioannidis has told BBC Sport it could take up to a year before any hearing and the case will likely go to the Piraeus Court of Appeal. He added it could be delayed even further if there are requests for further adjournments.
Dr Paradissis added: “I’m representing some policemen that have been hit, they have injuries and the three defendants say they are not guilty but on the other side they don’t explain how these injuries were made.
“We don’t have the same definition of what a victim is then because how can you be a victim and the policeman that have been assaulted, hit, that were just doing their job, they went home with injuries – how can they not be a victim?”
Maguire’s lawyer Alexis Anagnostakis – one of Greece’s top human rights lawyers – told the court the events stemmed from Maguire’s sister Daisy being injected with a substance by a group of Albanians and she immediately fainted.
The defendants called for transport and asked to be driven to a hospital, but were instead taken to a police station.
The prosecution said Maguire, his brother and friend then physically and verbally attacked police officers.
“Obviously that [Maguire’s sister being injected] is irrelevant concerning the assault committed against the police officers,” said Dr Paradissis.
“And in any case what is strange about this case about the sister is that the sister was interviewed by police and she said nothing about that to the police. This is a new line of defence that we heard recently.”

Continue Reading
Comments

Sports

Wilfred Ndidi Sustains Abductor Injury , Could Be Out For Up To 12 Weeks

Published

on

114581343 gettyimages 1228560872 Wilfred Ndidi Sustains Abductor Injury , Could Be Out For Up To 12 Weeks

Leicester’s Wilfred Ndidi could be out for up to 12 weeks because of an abductor injury he sustained in Sunday’s league win over Burnley.
The 23-year-old missed Wednesday’s 2-0 Carabao Cup defeat to Arsenal and may require surgery.
“It is an abductor injury – it may have come off the bone which could be a nasty injury,” said Foxes boss Brendan Rodgers after the loss to the Gunners.
“We will wait to see if he needs an operation – if so it will be 12 weeks.”
Ndidi has been operating as a makeshift central defender for the Foxes so far this season in the absence of the injured Jonny Evans.
Leicester have won both of their league games this season, to leave them top of the Premier League on goal difference.

Continue Reading

Sports

Chelsea Complete The Signing Of Edouard Mendy From Rennes

Published

on

images 97 2 Chelsea Complete The Signing Of Edouard Mendy From Rennes

OFFICIAL: Chelsea complete the signing of Edouard Mendy from Rennes, with the goalkeeper joining on a five-year deal at a cost of £22 million ($29m).
The Senegalese international has penned a five-year deal at Stamford Bridge and will compete with Kepa Arrizabalaga and Willy Caballero for a starting spot between the posts in the season ahead.
After signing his long-term contract with the Blues, Mendy said: ‘I am so excited to be joining Chelsea. It’s a dream for me to be a part of this exciting squad and to work with Frank Lampard and all of his coaching staff. I look forward to meeting my team-mates and can’t wait to get started.’
On signing Mendy, Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia said: ‘As soon as Petr Cech and our technical team identified Edouard as the most suitable goalkeeper to complement our existing group, there was only one player we wanted to bring in. Edouard arrives following a season of real success with Rennes, he is ambitious for more, and we welcome him to our club.’

Continue Reading

Sports

Luis Suarez Joins Atletico Madrid From Barcelona

Published

on

images 86 2 Luis Suarez Joins Atletico Madrid From Barcelona

Subject to passing his medical and agreeing and formalising the Uruguayan’s contract.
Atlético de Madrid and FC Barcelona have reached an agreement over the transfer of Luis Suárez, subject to passing his medical and agreeing and formalising the Uruguayan’s contract with our club.
FC Barcelona and Atlético Madrid have reached an agreement for the transfer of the player Luis Suárez. The Madrid club will pay FC Barcelona 6 million euros in variables.
FC Barcelona would like to publicly express their gratitude to Luis Suárez for his commitment and dedication and wishes him all the best for the future.
On Thursday 24 September from 12.30pm CEST there will be a farewell event for the player and following that a remote press conference. You can see all the day’s event surrounding the Uruguayan striker’s goodbye live on Barça TV+, FC Barcelona’s official digital streaming platform.
13 titles in six seasons
Luis Suárez is leaving Barça after six glorious seasons. He has played a key role in winning no fewer than thirteen major trophies:
La Liga: 4
Champions League: 1
Copa del Rey: 4
Clubs World Cup: 1
European Super Cup: 1
Spanish Super Cup: 2
He joined the club in the summer of 2014 and made his competitive debut in the Clásico against Real Madrid. He scored his first goal in a 4-0 win in the Champions League at APOEL, while he got his first Liga goal against Cordoba in December.
His natural goalscoring instinct has brought plenty of pleasure to Culers over the years, including the winner against Juventus to secure the club’s fifth Champions League. In his second year at the club, 2015/16, he earned the Golden Shoe as Europe’s top scorer, scoring 40 goals in La Liga and 59 in total.
Other memorable nights include his performance in the famous 6-1 comeback against Paris Saint-Germain, and in total he is departing after contributing 198 goals in 283 games, making him the third highest goalscorer in Barça history, only topped by César and Leo Messi – and he has also contributed 97 assists.

Continue Reading

Trending