Connect with us

Sports

Argentina President Urges Messi To Return Home

Published

on

images 40 2 Argentina President Urges Messi To Return Home

Argentina’s president Alberto Fernandez has advised Lionel Messi to return to his homeland and finish his career at his former youth team club Newell’s Old Boys.
Messi,33, shocked the world of football last week by informing Barcelona of his intentions to move on this summer following a turbulent season at the Nou Camp.
He has been most strongly linked with a move to Manchester City, where he would link up with his previous manager Pep Guardiola again.
He has been most strongly linked with a move to Manchester City, where he would link up with his previous manager Pep Guardiola again.
But some believe he could be tempted with going back to Newell’s, who he represented at youth level between 1994-2000 before making the move to Spain at the age of just 13.
And speaking on Argentinean TV channel C5N, Fernandez said: “You are in our hearts and we have never seen you play in our country.
“Give us the pleasure of ending your career with Newell’s Old Boys, your club.”
And on who he admires between Diego Maradona and Messi Fernandez admitted he admired the 1986 World Cup winner.
He stated that his preference for the Napoli icon is due to the fact he graduated from the team he supports, Argentinos Junior.
“The great merit of Maradona is that he played alone against the world,” Fernandez added. “I’ve never seen a player like Maradona.
“I admire him deeply – more than Messi, to be honest, because he comes from the Argentinos’ youth. He was a kind of gladiator, with incredible strength.”
Newell’s fans held a spectacular parade on the streets of Rosario on Thursday in the hope of showing Messi how much it would mean for them for him to move to the club.
Club vice-president Cristian D’Amico told TyC Sports: “Maradona came and everyone believed it was impossible. What Newell’s fan doesn’t have the dream to see the greatest in our shirt?”

Continue Reading
Comments

Sports

I Can’t Wait To Face Ronaldo – Osimhen

Published

on

images 16 4 I Can’t Wait To Face Ronaldo - Osimhen

Victor Osimhen is looking forward to coming up against Juventus superstar Cristiano Ronaldo in the Serie A this season, reports Completesports.com.
Osimhen joined Napoli from Ligue 1 club Lille in July.
The new season in Italy will start this weekend with Napoli facing Parma in their first game of the campaign.
Napoli’s first tough fixture of the season will be away to champions Juventus on matchday three.
The game will see Osimhen come up against Ronaldo for the first time in his career.
“I’m really looking forward to a new career here in Serie A. Playing against the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo is something one can eagerly wait for,”Osimhen told cafonline.com.
“While at Lille, I had the opportunity of playing against some of the best players in the world like Neymar, Kylian Mbappe and it would definitely be a whole great experience to play against Ronaldo, who is one of the greatest playeon earth.
“So, I’m looking forward to facing him soon.”
The Nigeria international scored six goals and provided one assist in three pre-season outings for the Partenopei.

Continue Reading

Sports

Five new signings to watch in Serie A

Published

on

images 7 3 Five new signings to watch in Serie A

There will be a clutch of new faces when the 2020/21 Serie A season kicks off this weekend.
AFP Sport looks at five new signings to look out for in Italy this season :
Victor Osimhen ( Napoli )
Napoli paid French club Lille a club record fee of up to 80 million euros ( $94 .6 million ) to bring Nigeria forward to southern Italy on a five- year deal .
The total fee is almost double Napoli’ s previous club record of around 40 million euros paid for Gonzalo Higuain in 2013 and Hirving Lozano last year .
Osimhen scored 18 times last season and was one of the revelations of France ’ s curtailed campaign with 13 Ligue 1 goals as Lille finished fourth .
“ For me , being here means having made a big leap in quality , ” said the 21- year – old .
Napoli finished seventh in Serie A and qualified for the Europa League after winning the Italian Cup , their first trophy in six years .
Weston McKennie ( Juventus)
Weston McKennie joined Juventus on a season – long loan from Bundesliga club Schalke and will become the first American to play for the Italian champions.
McKennie , 22, moves to Turin for an initial fee of 4 . 5 million euros.
The deal includes an obligation for Juventus to buy the midfielder for 18 .5 million euros if certain targets are met this season .
The US international spent four years in Germany and made 91 appearances for Schalke, but the Bundesliga club found itself in a perilous financial situation after the coronavirus pandemic .
“ Playing with Cristiano Ronaldo , seeing how he moves and how he works will bring me great benefits, ” said McKennie before Juventus ’s first game against Sampdoria on Sunday.
Achraf Hakimi ( Inter Milan )
Real Madrid full- back Achraf Hakimi joined Serie A club Inter Milan for a reported fee of 40 million euros plus five million euros in bonuses .
As part of the sale , Madrid has negotiated a clause giving them first refusal on the Morocco international for the next five years .
Achraf , who has spent the past two seasons on loan at Bundesliga club Borussia Dortmund , has joined the Serie A runners – up on a contract until June 2025 .
The pacy defender will bolster Antonio Conte ’ s defense , occupying the right flank where neither Antonio Candreva nor Victor Moses fully convinced last season .
Vedat Muriqi ( Lazio)
Kosovo international striker Vedat Muriqi arrives from Turkish club Fenerbahce to support Lazio’ s Serie A top scorer Ciro Immobile as the club return to the Champions League after a 13 – year break .
Simone Inzaghi’ s side is reported to have spent 20 million euros ( $23 million ) for the services of the 26 – year – old forward on a five- year deal .
Immobile scored 36 goals last season as the Romans challenged for a first Serie A title since 2000, eventually finishing fourth having been just one point behind Juventus before the coronavirus break .
Aleksei Miranchuk ( Atalanta )
Atalanta signed versatile Russian attacking midfielder Aleksei Miranchuk from Lokomotiv Moscow just after their Champions League last- eight exit with Slovenian striker Josip Illcic absent because of personal and psychological problems .
Miranchuk scored 12 goals in the Russian league last season and two against Juventus in the Champions League .
The Bergamo side paid a reported 20 million euros for the 24- year – old , who can play in a central attacking midfield role or as a winger on either flank for last season ’ s Serie A top scorers .
Miranchuk will be separated from his twin brother Anton for the first time after they emerged together at Lokomotiv and in the Russian national team.

Continue Reading

Sports

Osaka withdraws from 2020 French Open

Published

on

download 2 5 Osaka withdraws from 2020 French Open

Japan ’s Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from the upcoming French Open with a hamstring injury .
The 22- year – old had her left hamstring taped when she battled back against Victoria Azarenka in the U . S . Open final in New York on Saturday to win her third Grand Slam title.
“ Unfortunately , I won’ t be able to play the French Open this year ,” the world number three wrote on social media in a message she also posted in Japanese .
“ My hamstring is still sore so I won’t have time to prepare for the clay – these two tournaments came too close to each other for me this time .
“ I wish the organizers and players all the best . ”
French Open will be held from Sept . 27 to Oct . 11 after being moved from its usual late May – June slot due to the coronavirus pandemic .
The hamstring issue had prompted Osaka to withdraw from the final of the Western & Southern Open in the run – up to the U .S . Open but it did not appear to hamper her at Flushing Meadows .
Osaka made headlines in New York as much for her performances on court as for her commitment to social justice causes.
For each of her U . S . Open matches she wore a different mask that carried the name of a Black American , aiming to highlight racial injustice in the United States to a wider audience .
The withdrawal of Osaka, who has never advanced past the third round at Roland Garros , comes as another blow to the tournament after world number one Ash Barty of Australia said she would not be defending her title due to COVID- 19 concerns.
On the men’ s side, Roger Federer will not compete as he continues to recover from knee surgery .
Osaka’ s absence would improve Serena Williams’ s chances of winning a record- tying 24th Grand Slam title if the American chooses to play .
The 38- year – old has pulled out of the Italian Open with an Achilles issue .
The French Tennis Federation ( FFT ) said on Thursday it would allow 5,000 spectators per day following a recent spike in COVID- 19 cases in the country.
It had previously said the clay court major would permit a maximum of 11 ,500 fans per day.

Continue Reading

Trending