Connect with us

Sports

AFCON Trophy Missing At CAF Headquarters In Egypt

Published

on

download 1 4 AFCON Trophy Missing At CAF Headquarters In Egypt

The North African country got to keep the trophy permanently after winning it three times in a row, but the silverware has now been lost
The Africa Cup of Nations trophy retained by Egypt permanently after the Pharaohs won the title three times in a row has been lost, with former federation member Magdi Abdelghani explaining that the cup was destroyed in a fire at the association’s Cairo HQ in 2013.
Ex-Egyptian Football Association vice-president Ahmed Shobeir earlier revealed that the trophy was discovered missing during preparations to build a museum to house all of the silverware won by the North African nation.
Former Fifa Board Member and Pharaohs great Abdelghani later confirmed that the cup was one of several items of silverware that had been lost in a fire seven years ago.
“Officials of the committee which meets every five years and currently manages the Football Association were surprised that the trophy was not available, in light of their desire to create a museum at the federation headquarters, which would feature the trophy and the national team’s kits,” Shobeir said on the ‘On Time Sports’ TV show.
“However, [they] were surprised to find that the Afcon trophy was lost, and decided to open an investigation.”
It was initially claimed that former captain Ahmed Hassan – who skippered the team to success at the biennial tournament in 2006, 2008 and 2010 – was in possession of the trophy, although he subsequently denied the claim.
“The committee searched for the trophy, but then an employee told them that Ahmed Hassan, the former captain of the Egyptian national team, who won the cup three times in a row, has kept it,” Shobeir added.
Later, ex-Egypt midfielder Abdelghani clarified in a press conference that the trophy had been lost in a fire seven years ago.
“After the burning of the Football Association headquarters, some cups were lost, and the matter was investigated,” the former FA member began, “including the Africa Cup of Nations that we retained.
“Some said that the cup had been with Shawky Gharib, the former general coach of the Egypt national team, and some say it had been with Hassan, the former captain of the Pharaohs.”
After learning of the trophy’s disappearance, Hassan took to social media to express his dismay at the loss.
“I wish I had kept the cup in my house instead of it being lost,” he posted on his @AhmedHassan Twitter handle, “and I am surprised that I’m being questioned about the cup after nine years, despite the presence of two FA boards, and the five-year committee for a year and two months…but they’re only now looking for the cup!
“One of the members of the five-year committee contacted me and told me that they would put a picture of me with the African Nations Cup on the wall inside the federation,” Hassan continued, “and he asked me about the cup.
“I told him that I had delivered it back in 2011, and he said to me: ‘I wish you had not handed it over, as the cup is not at the association now.'”
Egypt are the most successful country in the history of the Africa Cup of Nations, having won the trophy seven times since 1957. Their trio of consecutive successes between 2006 and 2010 is an unprecedented feat in the history of the African game.

Continue Reading
Comments

Sports

West Ham : David Moyes , Issa Diop & Josh Cullen Test Positive For Covid-19

Published

on

images 64 2 West Ham : David Moyes , Issa Diop & Josh Cullen Test Positive For Covid-19

West Ham United manager David Moyes and two of the club’s players have tested positive for coronavirus.
The Premier League club were informed of the positive tests while preparing for Tuesday’s Carabao Cup tie against Hull City at London Stadium.
Moyes, 57, defender Issa Diop, 23, and 24-year-old midfielder Josh Cullen will now be required to self-isolate.
“The manager and both players immediately left the stadium and have returned home,” said a club statement.
West Ham said the three men were all asymptomatic and assistant manager Alan Irvine took charge of the Hull match, which both Diop and Cullen were due to start.
Public Health England guidelines state those with Covid-19 should self-isolate for at least 10 days, meaning Moyes, Diop and Cullen will not be able to attend training or the league game against Wolverhampton Wanderers on 27 September.
BBC Radio 5 Live’s John Southall said the trio travelled to the ground with the squad in two or three separate coaches.
“They say they all social distanced, the squad, from when they met up and throughout the journey,” he said.
“As soon as they arrived, the results from the tests done yesterday came through and the two players and the manager were isolated immediately in separate rooms and left the ground very quickly, I’m told.
“West Ham say they are satisfied nobody else in the squad needs to self-isolate and that is why the game went ahead.”
The news comes after Leyton Orient v Tottenham Hotspur in the EFL Cup third round on Tuesday was called off because a number of the home players had contracted coronavirus.
It came on the day the government announced a raft of new coronavirus restrictions for England which could last for up to six months.
As part of the stricter rules, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has confirmed plans for fans to return to watch live sport events in England from 1 October will not go ahead.
Sports bodies have been told not to expect spectators at stadiums and venues until the end of March at the earliest.

Continue Reading

Sports

Man City squad stretched to its limit, says Guardiola

Published

on

wolves 6 Man City squad stretched to its limit, says Guardiola

Pep Guardiola said his squad is stretched to the limit as Manchester City prepare to launch their League Cup defense after Monday ’ s opening Premier League win against Wolves .
City claimed an impressive 3- 1 victory at Molineux on Monday as Kevin De Bruyne , Phil Foden , and Gabriel Jesus struck in their Premier League opener.
They remain without Joao Cancelo, Bernardo Silva, Oleksandr Zinchenko , Sergio Aguero , Aymeric Laporte , and Eric Garcia while Ilkay Gundogan is self – isolating after testing positive for coronavirus .
City, who have won the League Cup for the past three seasons, start the defense of their trophy against Bournemouth on Thursday and Guardiola knows they cannot afford to lose more players.
“ All we want is the seven players that are out to come back , ” he said .
“ Now we have a competition that we cannot spend the energy that we spent today , before Leicester ( on Sunday) , so we ’ re going to play mostly academy players and try to keep the energy for the Premier League .
“ With this lack of preparation and seven players out and not coming back soon , we have to keep the players from Monday as safe as possible .
“ We will see how many are available , how they recover . We have just three days . We won the Carabao ( League ) Cup three times in a row and we would like to continue but we don’ t have the players in this period to play every three days . ”

Continue Reading

Sports

Djokovic wins fifth Italian Open title

Published

on

983d7d6d212a2b26adbcdde8dd374945 Djokovic wins fifth Italian Open title

Novak Djokovic claimed a record 36 th Masters crown on Monday, beating Argentine Diego Schwartzman in the final of the Italian Open .
The world number one won 7 – 5 , 6 – 3 to break a tie with Spanish rival Rafael Nadal for most master titles .
For Djokovic , it was a fifth title in the warm – up clay – court tournament for next week ’ s French Open .
Nine- time Rome winner Nadal, the defending champion, fell in the quarter -finals to eighth- seed Schwartzman .

Continue Reading

Trending