Connect with us

Insecurity

Gunmen attack Plateau community, kill monarch

Published

on

images 60 1 Gunmen attack Plateau community, kill monarch

A traditional ruler in Barkin Ladi Local Government Area of Plateau State, Bulus Chuwang Jang, has been killed by gunmen .
The Chairman of Berom Youth Moulders in the neighbouring Heipang district in the LGA , Rwang Tengwong , confirmed the incident to our correspondent in Jos on Tuesday .
Tengwong said that the diseased paramount ruler who is the district head of Foron was killed by some gunmen who attacked the community on Monday evening .
Tengwong said , “ We just lost one of our paramount rulers in Barkin Ladi Local Government Area through an attack by gunmen . He is the Acting district head of Foron , Da Bulus Chuwang Jang . He was shot dead in the evening yesterday ( Monday ) by some gunmen around Shen community .”
Deputy Leader of Barkin Ladi Legislative Council , Pam Chollom , who also confirmed the killing of the traditional ruler said that the council had summoned an emergency meeting over the incident .
He said , “ Yes , it is true that one of our traditional rulers has been killed in an attack by gunmen . It is very unfortunate and we condemn the incident . Right now, We are currently meeting over the incident as legislators . I will let you know our stand after the meeting. ”
Spokesman for the State Police Command , Ubah Ogaba , said that the incident had been reported to the command .
According to him , the State Commissioner of Police had deployed detectives in the Council Area to unravel the circumstances surrounding the killing of the monarch and apprehend those behind the act .
Ogaba said , “ We are aware of the killing of the traditional ruler by unknown gunmen , and investigation into the incident has commenced.
“ Already , the CP has deployed some officers in the area to investigate the matter and we are hopeful that those who perpetrated the acts would be fished out and punished accordingly. ”

Continue Reading
Comments

Insecurity

Police Arrest Armed Robbers In Ogun

Published

on

images 29 4 Police Arrest Armed Robbers In Ogun

Operatives of Ogun Police command have arrested two members of an alleged notorious robbery gang while carrying out an operation.

The robbery suspects who were said to be terrorising Ogijo community in Sagamu area of the state were arrested on Sunday October 18.

One feared killed, many injured as hoodlums attack police team at Yaba
#EndSARS: Police stations burnt, AIT office vandalised in Benin City
The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Abimbola Oyeyemi disclosed this on Monday that the suspects Olaitan Olushola a.k.a Toshiba and Oluwajuwon Balogun were arrested following a distress call received at Ogijo divisional headquarters that the gang were operating at Malatori area of Ogijo where they were dispossessing residents of their valuables at gunpoint.“Upon the distress call, the DPO Ogijo division, Muhammed Suleimon Baba quickly led his men to the scene where the suspects were apprehended while others escaped with some of their weapons,” he said.

Items recovered from the suspects are: two battle axes while two of their victims namely, Idowu Kareem and Akinloye Raimi have identified the duo as members of the syndicate who dispossessed them of their phones at gunpoint.

According to the PPRO, the Commissioner of Police, Edward Awolowo Ajogun has ordered the transfer of the suspects to the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence department for discreet investigation.

He added that the Commissioner has also directed that the fleeing members of the gang be hunted for and brought to book.

Continue Reading

Insecurity

FG Seeks Private Funding To Close $2.5bn Electricity Gap

Published

on

osun FG Seeks Private Funding To Close $2.5bn Electricity Gap

The Federal Government has called for more private sector funding to close an energy gap of $2.48 billion meant for 80 million Nigerians to have access to electricity.

The Managing Director and CEO of the Rural Electrification Agency (REA), Mr. Ahmad Salihijo Ahmad, disclosed this on Saturday at a workshop for members of the House of Representatives by the agency in Abuja after it held a similar one for the Senate.Ahmad said the $2.5bn is the investment required to provide access to the current 80m Nigerians without electricity. “India used to be the country with the highest people without access to electricity but I am sad to say that Nigeria has overtaken it and recently the figure is at 80m Nigerians without access to electricity.”

While he called for an improved budget for REA to realise this, he said: “It is very risky to rely on government budget as that is not enough. We need to device policies where we can get more private sector investments.”

The Minister of State for Power, Mr. Goddy Jedy-Agba, who was represented by the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry, Mr. Chinyeaka Ohaa, called for the lawmakers’ support to REA.

“Over 80 million Nigerians lack access to reliable electricity. To change this narrative, we must continue to strategically deploy renewable, off-grid technologies to power Nigeria, one community at a time.”

Declaring the workshop opened, the Speaker, House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, said the workshop was strategic and could not have come at a better time than this time.

“On behalf of the speaker, I declare this workshop opened,” said Chairman, House Committee on Power, Magaji Da’u Aliyu, who represented the Speaker.

On his role, Aliyu said with the workshop, the Members would do the needful and to consult with REA to ensure proper budgeting.

He said over N200m projects are uncompleted in the portfolio as he urged the REA to be better guided towards providing more access to rural electricity.

Executive Director, Rural Electrification Fund (REF) at REA, Dr. Sanusi Ohiare, said REA since 2016, has connected 103,500 homes, impacted 460,720 people, created 5,042 jobs and sourced $561m investments.

Ohiare said the lawmakers should strengthen the agency noting that despite the several review of the Oronsaye agencies merger report, REA is still part of the agencies penciled for scrapping.

Continue Reading

Insecurity

#EndSARS Turns Bloody As Osun Governor Comes Under Attack

Published

on

osun #EndSARS Turns Bloody As Osun Governor Comes Under Attack

Gunshots shattered a gathering of #ENDSARS protesters in Osogbo after Osun state governor Adegboyea Oyetola joined in.

The governor had left Government House at Oke-Fia and donned a facecap branded with ENDSARS in solidarity with the protest.

He arrived Olaiya junction, the epicentre of the protest, where protesters demanded he apologise for not having joined them since the protests began days ago.

The governor immediately apologized and told the protesters that he identified with them on the EndSARS agitation.As he was addressing them, some of the protesters interjected with “Soro Soke Were”, the new slang among youths meaning. “speak louder , madman”.

Stones were thrown in the direction of the governor, forcing his security aides to cover him.

Gunshots followed from different directions, correspondents say.

The governor’s convoy was chased with axes and machetes as it moved through the crowd.

Several people including journalists sustained injury in the pandemonium as people scampered for safely.

Some victims were rushed to the state hospital, Asubiaro and the Our Lady of Fatima Catholic hospital, Jaleoyemi, Osogbo for treatment.

A number of people are said to have been killed but there’s been no official confirmation of deaths so far.

Osun information commissioner, Funke Egbemode, who also sustained injury called the incident an assassination attempt on Oyetola.

“This was certainly beyond the #EndSARS protest. The people who launched the attack were not protesters at all,” Egbemode said.

Continue Reading

Trending