Connect with us

Local News

Okonjo – Iweala Is Favourite As WTO Narrows Aspirants To 2 On Tuesday

Published

on

images 2020 10 03T174029.979 Okonjo - Iweala Is Favourite As WTO Narrows Aspirants To 2 On Tuesday

Nigeria’s former finance minister, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala remains the favourite for the job of director-general of the World Trade Organisation as the body’s General Council meets next Tuesday to reduce the five candidates still in the race to two.
Okonjo-Iweala; Saudi Arabia’s former minister of economy and planning, Mohammad Maziad Al-Tuwaijri; UK’s former secretary of state for international trade, Liam Fox; South Korea’s Trade Minister, Yoo Myung-hee; and Kenya’s former international trade minister, Amina Mohamed are the aspirants still in the race.
Three candidates, including Mexico’s Jesus Seade, Egypt’s Hamid Mamdouh, and Moldova’s Tudor Ulianovschi were dropped last month as the Geneva-based organisation said they did not secure enough support in a first of three rounds of voting.
Next week, the five aspirants who jumped the first hurdle to replace Roberto Azevedo, who stepped down as the WTO director-general a year ahead of schedule, will be whittled down to just two after a second elimination round.
The remaining five contenders are either current or former ministers, something that trade officials had previously said was an important characteristic for a future Director-General.
Okonjo-Iweala’s high professional/personal qualities, international contacts and impeccable records as Nigeria’s former finance minister/foreign affairs minister and as former managing director of the World Bank, stand her above other contestants, argue pundits familiar with the voting preferences of WTO’s Governing Council.
“Aside from Okonjo-Iweala, no other contestant has ever worked or held a key position in a major international body like the World Bank. In addition, Okonjo-Iweala worked as foreign affairs minister. All her opponents have no international career record,” added another pundit.
There is no requirement for a regional rotation of the WTO chief position.
But there have been calls for an African to finally get a shot at running the organisation, which has counted three director-generals from Europe, and one each from Oceania, Asia and South America since its creation in 1995.
The WTO aims to select a winner in November, but some have voiced fear that increasing politicisation of the WTO, which relies on consensus to reach decisions, could draw out the process.
Whoever is handed the job in the end will be taking over an organisation mired in multiple crises, and struggling to help members navigate a severe global economic slump triggered by the Coronavirus pandemic.
The campaign to lead the WTO during the most turbulent period of its 25-year existence is playing out against the backdrop of the pandemic, a worldwide recession, the US-China battle for trade supremacy, and the American presidential election.
The vacancy offers an opportunity for the US, the European Union, and other nations to reshape the organisation, whose mission of economic integration is under threat from protectionist policies around the globe.
Without reform, the WTO risks being sidelined during the biggest economic crisis in a century.

Continue Reading
Comments

Local News

13 Die In Kaduna – Kano Road Crash

Published

on

images 97 2 13 Die In Kaduna - Kano Road Crash

No fewer than 13 persons were on Thursday confirmed killed in a car accident along Kaduna-Kano express way.
Several passengers also sustained various degrees of injuries in the accident involving a Kano bond Macopolo luxurious bus and four other vehicles.
Our correspondent gathered the crash occurred around a village called Jar-marmara in Ikara local government area of Kaduna.
An eye witness, who identified himself as Mallam Sani Haruna, told our correspondent: “The luxurious bus lost control and colided with four cars, in which 16 people died on the spot. The four cars were condemned.”
It was gathered the luxurious bus left Lagos heading to Kano on Monday evening before the crash in the early hours of Tuesday few kilometres to its destination.
Our correspondent learnt many of passengers on the luxurious bus, who sustained various degrees of injuries were rushed to the hospital for treatment.
Kaduna Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps FRSC, Hafiz Mohammed, confirmed the incident and the casualty figure to our correspondent.

Continue Reading

Local News

NSCDC Dismisses Officer Who Looted COVID – 19 Palliatives In Abuja

Published

on

images 85 2 NSCDC Dismisses Officer Who Looted COVID - 19 Palliatives In Abuja

NSCDC Dismisses Officer Who Partook In The Looting Of COVID-19 Palliatives In Abuja
The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps have dismissed one of its officers, Corps Assistant Illiya Ibrahim of the Gwagwalada Division Abuja, for partaking in the looting of Covid-19 palliatives discovered in a warehouse in Gwagwalada, Abuja.
On Monday, a mob stormed the warehouse and carted away the palliatives. A video that made the rounds on social media, showed the officer grabbing his own palliative.
Tweets from the officials Twitter handle of the NSCDC reads:
“The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps has punished a Corps Assistant Illiya Ibrahim of the Gwagwalada Division Abuja by dismissing him from the service in relation to the looting of Covid-19 palliatives discovered in a warehouse in Gwagwalada, Abuja.”

“The Media Assistant to the Commandant General NSCDC, Ekunola Gbenga, disclosed this in a statement made available to journalists in Abuja on Tuesday evening.”

“The recommendation was given after the officer was charged under the public service rule which is related to unbecoming conduct of officers.”
“This disciplinary measure was taken after series of investigations and deliberations by the junior disciplinary committee and recommendations were made to the management.”
“The CG appreciates officers and men of the Corps including members of the public for providing useful information that has continue to assist the Corps in identifying unfit individuals within the ranks for appropriate action. He tasked the personnel to remain committed, resolute and firm in the discharge of their duties.”

Continue Reading

Local News

FG disburses N6.1bn to 129,137 Zamfara households

Published

on

images 84 2 FG disburses N6.1bn to 129,137 Zamfara households

A total of N 6 , 091 ,580 ,000 has been disbursed to 129, 137 poor and vulnerable households in Zamfara State , the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development announced on Tuesday .
Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Umar -Farouq , stated this during a meeting with the Emirs and other stakeholders at the Zamfara State Government House , Gusau .
She was quoted in a statement issued by the ministry ’s Chief Information Officer , Adeyemo Felicia , as saying , “ The disbursement is done through the Conditional Cash Transfer programme to the poor and vulnerable households in the state .
“ It is done with a monthly base cash transfer of N 5 , 000 to each beneficiary, with the sole aim of graduating them out of poverty .”
Umar -Farouq said the CCT exercise was conducted in six Local Government Areas including Anka , Bungudu, Birnin Magaji , Kauran Namoda Tsafe and Talatar Mafara .
The minister stated that the programme improved the socio -economic livelihoods of over 130 ,000 beneficiaries with payments of between N 30 , 000 to N 80 ,000 distributed based on the dates that each beneficiary was registered on the CCT exercise .
She said the existing National Social Investment Programmes were being expanded to offer wider protection to the most vulnerable persons and communities in Nigeria.
Umar -Farouq said , “ In October 2019 , the Zamfara Social Register had 175 ,955 poor and vulnerable households made up of 802 ,279 individuals .
“ The register has grown under my stewardship to 420, 358 households and 1 ,950 , 201 individuals that will benefit from the government ’ s social safety net programmes .
“ Furthermore , cash transfers will be expanded to cover an additional one million households nationwide. Of this expansion , Zamfara will have a total of 138 ,861 new beneficiaries, in addition to the 130 ,000 currently being paid through the CCT ” .
The Zamfara State Governor , Muhammad Matawalle , who was represented by the Secretary to the State Government , Bala Maru, urged the Federal Government to intervene in road construction that would give security agents access to remote areas where bandits hide.

Continue Reading

Trending