Connect with us

Latest News

State Governors , Others Consulted On Water Bill – FG

Published

on

images 70 State Governors , Others Consulted On Water Bill – FG

THE Minister of Water Resources, Suleiman Adamu, says the Federal Government consulted state governments and other critical stakeholders in the sector before coming up with the controversial National Water Resources Bill 2020 currently before the National Assembly.
Adamu, who spoke at a press conference in Abuja on Friday, said a retreat was first held on the bill before it was sent to state governors for their contributions.
Bayelsa and Benue State governments are among stakeholders that have kicked against the bill which was withdrawn in the House of Representatives on September 29 in order for it to be gazetted after members clashed over the piece of legislation.
The minister, however, expressed surprise about the level of opposition that had risen against the bill.
He said, “Three weeks after I came into office, I decided to have a retreat and I invited all the major stakeholders in the water sector. It was at that retreat that the issue of the bill came up, that we need to pass it.
“In November 2017, the House of Representatives considered the bill. There was a two-day public hearing on this bill. There was no issue. House of Representatives passed it.
“As it is the procedure, they now took the bill to the Senate for concurrence. It was presented to the Senate sometimes in 2018. Some senators asked some questions.
“I learnt that explanations were made but some senators did not feel satisfied and the Senate President at the time suggested that a technical committee be formed and all senators that had issues should refer them to that committee and the committee should tidy it up and return it.
“The next thing we heard in the media was that Buhari’s bill had divided the Senate along religion and ethnic lines and that the bill had been thrown out. Then people were claiming it was a RUGA bill.”

Continue Reading
Comments

#EndSars

Enugu EndSARS Stray Bullet Saga : ‘No Governor Orders The Military’ – Army Officer

Published

on

images 131 Enugu EndSARS Stray Bullet Saga : 'No Governor Orders The Military' – Army Officer

EnuguEndSARS stray bullet saga: No governor orders the military – Army officer
*We were mobilized to protect school girls from hoodlums, criminals
*Miscreants killed, burnt policemen, stations, others
One of the soldiers mobilized by the military to protect the innocent female students at Queens School Enugu, last Saturday, following a security report that armed hoodlums and criminals parading themselves as #EnuguSARS protesters wanted to invade the school in search of COVID-19 palliatives, has opened up on what transpired, contrary to the stories being peddled on the social media.
The soldier who spoke to our correspondent in confidence disclosed that there was no directive from anybody, as being mischievously peddled on social media, to shoot or kill the hoodlums and criminals who in their numbers, some with weapons, attempted to overpower the security agencies and forcefully invade the school, where the young girls are staying.
The military officer stated categorically that Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi did not give them any directive, explaining that “what happened was a case of stray bullet which the hoodlums themselves have questions to answer “because they had dangerous weapons like guns as they were forcefully approaching us to overpower us and go into that school where these girls we were ask to protect were”.
It would be recalled that the principal of Queens School Enugu, Mrs. Ada Nweke, had in a video, sent SOS to the security agencies to come to the rescue of the traumatized girls following the forceful attempt by the hoodlums and criminals to invade the school.
Mrs. Nweke who stated that there were no COVID-19 palliatives still in the school as they had been distributed to the 17 Local Government Areas in August, stressed that “we don’t want what happened to the Chibok girls to happen to these students”.
Prior to the alarm raised by the principal, it was widely reported that the hoodlums and criminals’ aim was to invade the school, in the disguise of #EndSARS protest looking for palliatives, and then rape and kidnap the female students similarly to what happened to the Chibok girls.
When asked who then directed them to mobilize to the school, the officer said: “This question has a straight answer. The world knows where we take directives from. The military just like other security agencies are exclusively under the control of the federal government and we take instructions from our heads.
“So I don’t know what you mean whether it was the governor that directed us or not. We know who directs us, and even you here asking me this kind of question know too. No governor directs the military or its officers. Please take this message home and stop asking such questions”.
On the 24-hour curfew imposed, the soldier pointed out that “it was unfortunate that these people refused to stay at home and obey the curfew imposed by the state government. They saw us pleading with them to go home but they kept forcing their way to overpower us.
“Are you not aware that these miscreants killed two policemen in this state and burnt one in the process of this protest? They burnt police stations, looted and destroyed a lot of properties belonging to innocent people.
“What have you said about it? Did you report it? Did you see it circulated anywhere on social media by those peddling these lies against the governor and security agencies. Or are security personnel not human beings like you?
“So if a security man is killed by hoodlums it is not news worthy to be spread on this una social media?
“Please go and advise these youths to stop exposing themselves to dangers because as I am talking to you here, a directive has come from the Presidency again that both the military and police should mobilize across the country to stop these lootings, killings and destruction of public and private property.
“Go and warn them before they start accusing the state governors or other persons”.

Continue Reading

#EndSars

EndSARS Protests : Osinbajo Convenes Emergency NEC Meeting

Published

on

FEC Meeting 11 1280x720 1 EndSARS Protests : Osinbajo Convenes Emergency NEC Meeting

Vice president Yemi Osinbajo has summoned an emergency meeting of the National Economic Council (NEC) for Monday, October 26, 2020.
Constitutionally, the Vice president is the chair of the NEC, which has as members state governors.
Osinbajo promises justice for #EndSARS protest victims
#ENDSARS: How Nigerians reacted to Osinbajo’s statement
The meeting is to, among others, enable the Council to receive briefings from the state governors and security agencies on the state of the states and the nation.
The virtual emergency EC meeting, scheduled for 12noon, is convened amid looting of COVID-19 palliatives at warehouses as well as the vandalisation of public and private property across the country after the#EndSARS protests that had claimed lives.

Continue Reading

#EndSars

Governor Ayade Orders House To House Search Of Looted Items In Cross River State

Published

on

Ben Ayade 1 Governor Ayade Orders House To House Search Of Looted Items In Cross River State

Cross River State governor Senator Ben Ayade has ordered security agencies in the state to search houses to recover looted items and take legitimate action to halt violence.
Between Friday and Saturday last week, hoodlums and looters broke into over 35 government and private properties, looted several items and set some buildings ablaze.
On Friday members of the public numbering over 15, 000 had broken into the Cross River State government uncompleted Fabrication Academy and carted away thousands of COVID-19 palliative meant for people of the state.
Similarly the large crowd of persons trooped to the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) along Barracks road, the Ministry of Works warehouses at Ekrinim 2, broke the warehouses and also made away with relief materials. Calabar South Local Government headquarters at Anantigha was also vandalized and looted.
Men, Women, some security personnel, young boys and girls were seen carting away hundreds of bags of rice, Indomie, salt, sugar, zinc and other items. Some people were heard shouting, “This is wickedness, it is our food let us pack it. Why did the government not give us since?”
The governor had on Friday announced a 24 hour curfew in the state yet properties were looted and burnt down on Saturday and they include, INEC Municipal Zonal office at Marian Road, Walmart at Marian, Federal Psychiatric Hospital along Calabar road, Senator Gershom Bassey’s family home along White house burnt and his private house at Axari Iso (vandalised and looted), Senator Victor Ndoma-Egba’s house at Asari Iso vandalized, looted and burnt, Garment Factory at Goodluck Jonathan by-pass, Ayade’s filling station under construction, First Bank at Eight miles, Nigeria Ports Authourity at Harbour (vandalized and looted), Tinapa (vandlised and looted).
The State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) in Cross River Newspaper Corporation (Chronicle) premises along Barracks road was looted and burnt on Friday night with some cars at the premises.
Others are Fabrication Academy (vandalised and looted) where COVID-19 palliative were hoarded since April, Larfage (Unicef) trucks with cement at Atimbo (vandalised and looted), NLC office-vandalised, CTRA office (100 Marian traffic regulatory office)–vandalised, Department of Petroleum Resources—vandalised, Atakpa Police Station—burnt down, NDDC office–vandalised, Ministry of Works warehouse—burnt down, Cross River State Roll back Malaria centre—vandalised, Boulevard joint—vandalised, Access bank by Mayne Avenue vandalized, Lawrence Henshaw Memorial hospital (IDH) at Edgerly vandalized and looted, Akpabuyo Police station burnt and others.
Ayade in a statement yesterday by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Mr Christian Ita, said, “following the deployment of more soldiers to Calabar to help quell violence, Cross River Governor, Sir Ben Ayade has asked security agencies in the State to take legitimate actions to halt the arson and carnage witnessed in some parts of Calabar.
“The governor also wants the security agents to carry out a house to house search for looted property and arrest everyone involved in the looting of both public and private property in the state”.
Ayade said he understands the pains of the people and there was need to protect the collective commonwealth of the people which is currently under threat by some persons who are desperately trying to discredit the peaceful disposition of Cross Riverians.
He urged the security agencies to “take legitimate actions to ensure that calm returns to the State especially as the Government was already working towards ensuring the demands of those who genuinely participated in the #EndSARS match are met”.
The Governor called on Cross Riverians to rise up and defend their land from criminal elements bent on destroying the image of the State.
The governor said the dusk to dusk curfew was still in place but this time around it is and “consequent upon this, everyone is advised to remain indoors as security agencies will not tolerate any non compliance”.

Continue Reading

Trending