Connect with us

Insecurity

#EndSARS Turns Bloody As Osun Governor Comes Under Attack

Published

on

osun #EndSARS Turns Bloody As Osun Governor Comes Under Attack

Gunshots shattered a gathering of #ENDSARS protesters in Osogbo after Osun state governor Adegboyea Oyetola joined in.

The governor had left Government House at Oke-Fia and donned a facecap branded with ENDSARS in solidarity with the protest.

He arrived Olaiya junction, the epicentre of the protest, where protesters demanded he apologise for not having joined them since the protests began days ago.

The governor immediately apologized and told the protesters that he identified with them on the EndSARS agitation.As he was addressing them, some of the protesters interjected with “Soro Soke Were”, the new slang among youths meaning. “speak louder , madman”.

Stones were thrown in the direction of the governor, forcing his security aides to cover him.

Gunshots followed from different directions, correspondents say.

The governor’s convoy was chased with axes and machetes as it moved through the crowd.

Several people including journalists sustained injury in the pandemonium as people scampered for safely.

Some victims were rushed to the state hospital, Asubiaro and the Our Lady of Fatima Catholic hospital, Jaleoyemi, Osogbo for treatment.

A number of people are said to have been killed but there’s been no official confirmation of deaths so far.

Osun information commissioner, Funke Egbemode, who also sustained injury called the incident an assassination attempt on Oyetola.

“This was certainly beyond the #EndSARS protest. The people who launched the attack were not protesters at all,” Egbemode said.

Continue Reading
Comments

Insecurity

FG Seeks Private Funding To Close $2.5bn Electricity Gap

Published

on

osun FG Seeks Private Funding To Close $2.5bn Electricity Gap

The Federal Government has called for more private sector funding to close an energy gap of $2.48 billion meant for 80 million Nigerians to have access to electricity.

The Managing Director and CEO of the Rural Electrification Agency (REA), Mr. Ahmad Salihijo Ahmad, disclosed this on Saturday at a workshop for members of the House of Representatives by the agency in Abuja after it held a similar one for the Senate.Ahmad said the $2.5bn is the investment required to provide access to the current 80m Nigerians without electricity. “India used to be the country with the highest people without access to electricity but I am sad to say that Nigeria has overtaken it and recently the figure is at 80m Nigerians without access to electricity.”

While he called for an improved budget for REA to realise this, he said: “It is very risky to rely on government budget as that is not enough. We need to device policies where we can get more private sector investments.”

The Minister of State for Power, Mr. Goddy Jedy-Agba, who was represented by the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry, Mr. Chinyeaka Ohaa, called for the lawmakers’ support to REA.

“Over 80 million Nigerians lack access to reliable electricity. To change this narrative, we must continue to strategically deploy renewable, off-grid technologies to power Nigeria, one community at a time.”

Declaring the workshop opened, the Speaker, House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, said the workshop was strategic and could not have come at a better time than this time.

“On behalf of the speaker, I declare this workshop opened,” said Chairman, House Committee on Power, Magaji Da’u Aliyu, who represented the Speaker.

On his role, Aliyu said with the workshop, the Members would do the needful and to consult with REA to ensure proper budgeting.

He said over N200m projects are uncompleted in the portfolio as he urged the REA to be better guided towards providing more access to rural electricity.

Executive Director, Rural Electrification Fund (REF) at REA, Dr. Sanusi Ohiare, said REA since 2016, has connected 103,500 homes, impacted 460,720 people, created 5,042 jobs and sourced $561m investments.

Ohiare said the lawmakers should strengthen the agency noting that despite the several review of the Oronsaye agencies merger report, REA is still part of the agencies penciled for scrapping.

Continue Reading

Insecurity

Police Commission To Dismiss 37 Ex- SARS Officers

Published

on

images 2020 10 17T114827.859 Police Commission To Dismiss 37 Ex- SARS Officers

No fewer than 37 former members of the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad have been pencilled down for dismissal from service.
The Police Service Commission is also expected to order the prosecution of 24 other ex-SARS operatives for various acts of professional misconduct.
These were the highlights of the Report of the Presidential Panel on Reform of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad set up by the Federal Government in 2018 to reform the dreaded unit.
The presidential panel had, among other things, investigated allegations of human rights violations and abuse of office against SARS and recommended reform or restructuring of the outfit.
Presenting the report to the PSC Chairman, Musiliu Smith, in Abuja on Friday, the Executive Secretary of the National Human Rights Commission, Tony Ojukwu, called for a speedy implementation of the panel recommendations.
A statement by the PSC spokesman, Ikechukwu Ani, said Ojukwu observed that the PSC chairman has all it takes to deal appropriately with the report of the panel.
The statement was titled, ‘PSC to partner Human Rights Commission, promises immediate action on report of presidential panel on reform of SARS.’
“We have come to see a PSC determined to play a leading role in the reform of the Nigeria Police Force,” Ojukwu was quoted to have said.
Ojukwu said the reform was the most topical issue in the country today, adding that a lot was expected from the PSC.
He noted that the panel called for and received 113 complaints on alleged human rights violations from across the country and 22 memoranda on suggestions on how to reform and restructure SARS and the Nigeria Police Force in general.
The statement said, “Ojukwu said at the end of the public hearing, the panel recommended 37 police officers for dismissal and 24 were recommended for prosecution.
“The panel also directed the Inspector -General of Police to unravel the identity of 22 officers involved in the violation of the human rights of innocent citizens.”
Receiving a copy of the report, Smith said the PSC would collaborate and support the NHRC in the promotion of good governance.
He, however, said that for effective reform of “the much-maligned SARS,” there must be a deliberate effort to select capable, professional and credible people to replace the disbanded outfit.
The selected officers, he added, must be properly trained and exposed to regular training.
Smith stated, “There must also be close supervision of the newly selected officers so that the nation will not experience the rot that became the fate of the disbanded unit.”
Any misconduct, he noted, should be severely and promptly handled.
The former IG said the government should show more concern on the funding of its vital agencies as they needed robust funding to do their job.
He also made a case for proper and good accommodation for police officers, stressing that “these officers need good accommodation to put in their best.”

Continue Reading

Insecurity

Governor Obaseki Reacts To Attacks On EndSARS Protesters In Benin

Published

on

images 94 Governor Obaseki Reacts To Attacks On EndSARS Protesters In Benin

I have just learnt that hoodlums are attacking #EndSARS protesters, who have conducted themselves peacefully in Benin City. I extend condolences to the victims of the attack, including those who lost their lives and others who were injured by the thugs.
It is disheartening that anyone would attack a peaceful assembly of young people, who are expressing genuine concerns to #EndSARS, police brutality and intimidation in their own country.
“I hereby call on the Police Command in the state to get out on the streets and provide adequate security for the #EndSARS protesters and ensure that no one is harassed in the course of exercising their rights in Edo State.”
Thorough investigation would be conducted immediately to fish out the culprits of the attack on peaceful #EndSARS protesters in Benin City, and we would do all possible within the law to ensure those culpable are brought to justice.

Continue Reading

Trending